Need some fresh, hip holiday music to play this year? Well look no further, here’s a list of songs by alternative artists some full of holiday cheer and a few full of holiday angst.
Unable to find holiday music options beyond Jingle Bells or Deck the Halls? Looking for something different to rock the Christmas party with this year? Check out these melodies, It’s surprising to find which modern bands have holiday tunes to rock around the Christmas tree to this season.
Santa Claus Songs – Some of these melodies about Santa have some very creative lyrics. Don’t Shoot Me Santa by The Killers seems like a dark song, but in actuality the tune is an attempt to capture humor.
- Santa Baby – Everclear
- Back Door Santa – JET
- Don’t Shoot Me Santa – The Killers
- Father Christmas – The Kinks
- Santa Claus is Back in Town – My Morning Jacket
- Zat You, Santa Claus? – Smash Mouth
- Santa Bring my Baby Back – The Smithereens
- Santa Claus to the Rescue – Spent
- Santa’s Beard – They Might Be Giants
Winter, Snow & Sleigh Songs – For something super upbeat go for Let it Snow by Luscious Jackson. Looking for something mellow? Then Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson’s Winter Song is the way to go.
- Winter Wonderland – Eurythmics
- White Christmas – Katy Perry
- A Great Big Sled – The Killers
- Let it Snow – Luscious Jackson
- Winter Song – Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson
Reindeer, Snowmen, Christmas Characters & Bells – How fun is the Big Bad Voodoo Daddy’s song Mr. Heatmiser? Reminiscent of the character in the 1974 children’s television special The Year Without a Santa Claus, everything Mr. Heatmiser touched melted away.
- Mr. Heatmiser – Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
- Run Rudolph Run – Dave Edmunds
- Frosty the Snowman – Fiona Apple
- Silver Bells – Relient K
- Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer – The Smithereens
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day – The Static Jacks
Jesus, Peace & Drummer Boys – For a feel good song to play this season, Peace on Earth by U2 is a sound choice.
- The Little Drum Machine Boy – Beck
- Little Drummer Boys – Hoodoo Gurus
- If You Were Born Today – Jimmy Eat World
- Jesus Christ Was an Only Child – Modest Mouse
- Oi to the World – No Doubt
- Peace on Earth – U2
Christmas – Rock out with The Ramones and their Merry Christmas song which clearly denotes how they don’t want to fight on Christmas or choose Billy Idol’s Yellin’ At the Christmas Tree to get the party going.
- Happy Xmas – The Alarm
- Do They Know it’s Christmas? – Barenaked Ladies
- Green Christmas – Barenaked Ladies
- Yellin’ At the Christmas Tree – Billy Idol
- I Won’t be Home for Christmas – Blink 182
- Advice from Christmas Past – Dead Kennedys
- Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) – Death Cab for Cutie
- Christmas Island – Depeche Mode
- Christmas Vacation – Descendents
- Christmas at the Zoo – The Flaming Lips
- I Want an Alien for Christmas – Fountains of Wayne
- Another Rock and Roll Christmas – Gary Glitter
- Christmas Card – Jimmy Eat World
- Last Christmas – Jimmy Eat World
- All I Want for Christmas – Matt Costa
- Merry Christmas – The Ramones
- Christmas – Rogue Wave
- Christmastime – Smashing Pumpkins
- When I Get Home for Christmas – Snow Patrol
Holiday & New Years – Want some punk for the holidays? Nothing’s Going to Ruin My Holiday by The Vandals is recommended for moshing at those holiday functions.
- Holiday Mood – Apples in Stereo
- The Millionaire’s Holiday – Combustible Edison
- The New Year – Death Cab for Cutie
- Holiday – Green Day
- Auld Lang Syne – Jimi Hendrix
- Holiday Hymn – Orange Juice
- The Holiday Song – Pixies
- Holiday Fortnight – The Specials
- Nothing’s Going to Ruin My Holiday – The Vandals
There’s more alternative holiday music out there than those melancholy and old school Christmas tunes that are available. Make room for a new collection of cool seasonal songs to celebrate the holidays with, out with the old and in with the new.